Friday, March 12, 2010

We all have an issue with "Madness"

So on Wed this week Gillian had a really rough day. I must say there was obviously something in the air, you know, since she is the most well mannered kid on the planet! ha. Anywho. She argued, sassed, and even manipulated for the majority of the day. Every time I attempted to offer a consequence it was thrown back in my face. (I didnt want to have a playdate, I wasnt planning to watch any tv, who wants to have a treat not me) So after a full on battle of the wills, I brought my day to its conclusion.

I must say, children may not always win, but when you lay them to sleep at the end of the day, I am glad they don't know how close they are to shutting us down. ha. I was exhausted. Worn down and discouraged. Unsure of how tomorrow would end up. However, to my relief, Thursday was incredibly pleasant. Then on Friday when we were discussing how all of the kids "panned out" on the allowance chart, Gillian and I had a deep heart to heart. She is too young to earn an allowance, but we do check marks for her chores (bed teeth toys and behavior) After a LONG calm conversation about the way we act and the perception we give others of our character she utters this as an offering of a humble apologetic plea.

"I'm sorry Lisa, next week I will try to control my madness."

After a lovely tear wrenching laugh with her, she promised to be better. I left that Friday with a mindful. You know we are all in Gillian's shoes. We all have our own bouts of "madness." The question is do you stop and listen to be humble and realize where your "madness" lies? Is it anger, hate, judgment, jealousy, or is it simple laziness? What ever your weakness, know that our God desires to have a heart to heart conversation with each of us as well, not to condemn. Not to ridicule. He desires to encourage us to be better. To recognize areas we can attempt to improve.

Reminds me of the fact that God doesn't call those who are improved. He calls those willing to improve. He doesn't expect any of us to take a single step on our own. He wants to love us where we are and help us see what we can become! He sees the bigger picture and wants to give us the vision.

I challenge everyone, including myself, to listen humbly to the areas God is encouraging you to improve! Allow yourself to feel empowered to improve not discouraged by the process.

Have a blessed weekend and know that every step you take, there is opportunity waiting for your arrival! Enjoy.

0 comments: