Monday, January 18, 2010

The Health of a Country

So I can only try to wrap my mind around the events in Haiti. It seems complex beyond my comprehension. I know one person there who has spent the past years loving on the people there and to know now what she is going through seems too much to grasp in one thought. My heart goes out to them and the more I hear or watch of the issue, I become more burdened for them. I saw a briefing asking for money to help send crackers. Crackers, the kind that feed a person for a whole day. I dont know why that shocked me so much. But bottom line is, they need support! They need encouragement. They need to be loved on. Which leads me to my point. The US is in a recession of sorts. We are all faced with a financial stupor. The government is faced with such a debt that the idea of the US aiding Haiti is a concept seemly difficult to fathom. This makes me sad to think that the country that is envied among so many other countries has not taken care of themselves. I dont want to get into politics and pointing fingers. I just think over all we were given the structure for success and yet we are where we are. Bizarre.

This reminds me of those of us who are Christians. People all around us face difficulties, as we do. However, we have what we need to cope, depend, encourage and succeed. It is in our best interest that we heed what we are given, and we keep ourselves in a healthy place, because after all if we allow ourselves to "breakdown" we will not be in a healthy enough place to help others when they need us.

As a country, it was our responsibility to not just keep ourselves in a healthy financial state for our own benefit, but for the benefit of the countries that look to us as a successful and admirable country!

What do we each need to do individually to help ourselves to get to a healthy state for ourselves, our country and the countries around us! Where is your influence?

I had to ask myself a hard question as 2009 concluded. What influence have I been. I obviously have influence in work and my home life is very much a reflection of who I am, but how little do I actually invest myself. I have great potential because of the gifts and talents that my God has invested in me. So what am I doing to utilize those talents? Because success in true definition is reaching a full potential!

So, ask yourself, what is your potential? And if you are not reaching your full potential, how can you? I can only imagine the affect it would have on this country if everyone asked themselves those two questions!

Imagine how much more affective we would be as individuals and as a country...

Imagine the relief a country like Haiti could count on in a time of devastation such as now. Imagine how the hurting could count on Christians if we did the same in our lives!

Where is your influence???

0 comments: