Sunday, January 10, 2010

Be the Investment

Before writing out this conceptual thought, I must offer the disclaimer than in all situations there are exceptions to everything, this being no different. However, one must take a deep look at their life in order to pass judgment for themselves. For none of us are here to judge another, but to simply live, setting examples of the character we wish to carry forward. I am reminded of the saying “Iron Sharpens Iron,” but this cannot ring true unless we offer insight on the intricate conversations as well as the comfortable ones.

So that being said, not all of us would consider to be “spoiled,” especially with the effects of the recession. But take an honest look at what you have. Not just monetary but in tangible and relational areas as well. For me I don’t like the word “spoiled,” but I will be the first to admit that I live a life that is “richly blessed.” I don’t have the trust funds and vacation homes, but I have people who love me, a job I enjoy, and home that gives me comfort. Although I don’t have everything, I have everything I need. When asked what I wanted for Christmas this year, my response was simple, nothing, I lack for nothing.

My concern over the weekend has been seeing how those who are “richly blessed” don’t always offer themselves to bless others. Myself included. As I have been preparing to plan this dinner of sorts, I realized it is uncharted territory for me. Sad, since as a child I was raised to serve my community. I was involved with Habitat for Humanity and stocking shelves at the Food Bank and even working with under privileged kids. Yet, in the years since I attended college; nothing. I have invested myself in things that were not bad, per say, just more or less for myself. I don’t like living with regrets, but looking back, I would say that this is one. Makes me stop and truly ponder what would have been different, what lives could have been touched. How my life would have changed if others were more a focus than myself.

And also in past experience, I have witnessed that many of us are unreliable, myself included. So even if this meal is planned or a day of service is put together, how would we trust that those of us who are comfortable would help those who are not? Who would show up to get their hands dirty when the life we live keeps them clean? But I have to say in what little I have done in my life; the rewards are far greater than anything I have done to further myself. That what we do for others, is what we take with us in life. Those memories are inconceivably different.

And as a challenge for both myself, and my readers, see the value in who you are, not for selfish gain, but to offer others something they cannot offer themselves. Ask yourself, what talents do you have, to bless those less fortunate. However, big or small your investment, it is still an investment!

0 comments: